Before Good Healthy World talks about “What is circumcision and Its Benefits”, we must know that what is circumcision & when & how it is done. After that we must debate if it is necessary or not? And after that we will come to its benefit alongside some risks too. And this is why this post would be categorized into the following parts:
- What is Circumcision?
- When is Circumcision Done?
- How Circumcision is Done?
- Is Circumcision Necessary?
- What are the Benefits of Circumcision?
- What are the Risks of Circumcision?
What is Circumcision?
This is the most basic part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know what “circumcision” basically means.
Circumcision is a surgical process of the foreskin which involves the removal of skin tissue covering the head(glans) of penis. It is a very old practice that has been prevalent in our society for over thousand of years. It also occupies significant importance in the eyes of muslims and jews. Other than the religious reasons, this process also has some health merits too which makes it a even more popular concept.
What is the timing of Circumcision?
This is the second most basic part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know what is “the right time for circumcision” & why.
An average time period for this surgery for babies is first two weeks. It usually gets performed on the first or the second day of birth. But it varies from religion to religion and sometimes from country to country. Among jews, the timing is around the eighth day. In muslims, the timing revolves around within first month or so. Health condition is also taken into account before making this surgery and thus it can get delayed automatically.But one thing must not be forgotten. This is; the older the baby gets, the more painful this process will be.
How quickly is Circumcision done?
This is the third most basic part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know how quickly is “circumcision done” & why.
This process usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes in babies. But in adults it can last upto one hour. The healing time after this operation revolves around 1 to 2 weeks. During this surgery, the foreskin is freed from the head of the penis, and the excess foreskin is clipped off. This is why it doesn’t take that much time.
Is Circumcision really necessary?
This is the fourth most basic yet most controversial part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know if “circumcision is really necessary” & why.
To do it or not is a very big debatable question. Some people validate it for the sake of health but not religion. Others are opposite to it. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has stated that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks that are associated with it. But at the same time they have also concluded that the benefits are not that huge that it should be recommended to everyone. So in the end of the day the decision comes back to the parents on if they want to d0 it or not. But make no doubt, such decisions do have the cultural values and religious customs incorporated into them.
What are the benefits\advantages of Circumcision?
This is the fifth most basic yet most important part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know if “circumcision has real benefits or not.”
- It results in decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
- Some STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) risks are greatly reduced by circumcision in men.
- It results in the protection against penile cancer.
- It also results in reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
- It helps in the prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans).
- It also helps in prevention of balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
- It also acts as a preventative agent against phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin).
- It also helps in the prevention of paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
- Cleanliness of penis is far more easy and thus hygiene is effectively maintained down under for males.
What are the risks\disadvantages of Circumcision?
This is the sixth most basic yet most misconceptual part of this post, “What is circumcision and Its Benefits.” We need to know if “circumcision has any negative effects or not” & why.
We all know that all sorts of surgeries have some downfalls if not taken care of properly. This is the same case here. One needs to take well care of the circumcised baby; otherwise following things could happen:
- Different levels of pain can be felt by the baby. The pain level would be higher for adults.
- Risk of bleeding and infection increases significantly at the site of the circumcision if not properly taken care off.
- Irritation of the glans is very much a possibility & needs to be kept a close watch on.
- It increases the risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis). So it is important one keeps a close check on the hygiene down under.
- In some cases, the penis can get damaged physically if not circumcised properly.
Summarization of “What is circumcision and Its Benefits”
To make this “What is circumcision and Its Benefits” short, it is a good & healthy thing to do.